Monday, March 23, 2020

Letter to Ice Cream Man re 1-17, 03/23/2020

Gentles: 

Just caught up with you guys through number 17(still a couple holes, but...) and wanted to throw in my own adulation.

ICM gets right up under my skin, like hearing that my gut microbes have a whole society inside me, like realizing i drowned a roach in my hot coffee after pouring it in the dark, like finding blood i can't identify.  It took me a long time to decide this is horror, but it is. I still keep wondering what's the story of the man in white and his foil, the man in black.  Shades of King's Black Tower.  The palindrome issue must have been a design challenge, but it sure works. Tiny Lives creeped me out. Coat Check Story was a straight up psychodelic trip with all the terror of Midsommar. I hope you gotta lot more of these tramping about in your headspace, Mr. Prince.

Mr. Martin's clear line, Mr. Hallorhan's colors, and Good Old Neon's design work make a perfect setting, like the dining room for a feast.  The design creates unity from issue to issue. Clear and clinical colors and the fine black line detail throughout allow the stories' textual creepiness lead. 

This book stays in the collection to read again!  You guys should probably check out DC's FLINCH from 90's(?), a good collection of creep outs.
--
Griffin (like the monster) Mauser (like the gun)

1 comment:

  1. Griffin,

    Thank you so much for your generous note--it's especially encouraging during these scary times.

    Hopefully the comics industry can survive all this, and we can continue to do our weird thing in the new future.

    Take care, and stay safe/healthy,
    W

    ReplyDelete