Wednesday, April 18, 2018

HM284MythicLetter

Great Hurling Metal!

Thanks Grant Morrison and Heavy Metal for kickin’ energy into good ole HM! I am loving the multiple covers, though wanna see em all in the mag so i can compare immediately! I’m a stubborn subscriber! I got Taarna! And lovin the new swag at the website; that huge Kirby all-over and the cover contest entries! Finally, lots of great tees at HM.

Yessir, Savage Sword of Jesus Christ! Yahoo! Man, that was some hard work; taboo obliteration in the tradition of “stradivarius” HM. Guess I will have to buy it. Peter Mohrbacher’s “Binah” departed from plain ole tattooed and pierced babes into wierd and evocative images.

I didn’t want to like Atomahawk, but I was wrong. I forgot how Heavy Metal this is. Everytime I see it I am reminded, wait, this is really heavy metal. Ready for act 3.

I loved Taarna in the first film; and her Arzach-like world in a few HM by Moebius. I am eager to see where De Campi, Parker, and O’grady go. I always enjoy the decadence of worlds Taarna visits; filled will disgusting villains who can be destroyed in good conscience. That’s fantasy.
Well, you guys hit all the nails. Drive em in.

Zentropa. You pissed me off, ‘cause I really like the atmosphere, the movement, the metallic glowing pallet, layers of image, illusion, and page breaking in sparse yet generous detail. Its like candy. But dey ain’t no narrative to speak of. When I went back and read the authors intro, I figgered, ok, I will wait it out; I was just being stubborn. Eventually, there will be an end. Its like waiting for Inki Bilal stories to materialize; worth waiting for. Besides, its classic HM to make such an offering. Keep up the strategy.

Salsa Invertebrata is another slow burn; I am intrigued, the poetry in simple elegant verse, softly informational, but it romances the creatures here into knights, warriors, acrobats, strongmen, and we are listening to our bard-guide through the small underworld of Salsa Invertebrata.  I can tell it’s going somewhere, so gimme, gimme!

Maybe not so much mythic as terrific horror considering these three stories! Dean Haspiel’s kind of a Lon Chaney of graphic narrative, his work adjusts to lend tone and texture while remaining uniquely Haspiel; Bruce Timm does it, Michael Oeming. I like the spare pallets and dry brush that energizes and animates Hall’s tale of despair that could just have easily ended up in Creepy or Eerie.  “Snow Blind” sounds like it came straight out of Bill-Gaines-style springboards; great textures, classic story setup! Finally, Jok’s “The Rabbi” coarse stylization and almost Moebian line deliver with a minimalist pallet.

So, spectacular taboo-breaking, short vs long, really Heavy Metal, compelling wierdness and EC comics! Lovely! See you in HM285!

Griffin, like the monster
Mauser, like the gun

1 comment:

  1. submitted to HM on 4/18/2018 at

    http://www.heavymetal.com/featured/14-page-preview-of-heavy-metal-284-the-mythic-special/#comment-141977

    ReplyDelete